Once devices are properly configured, you shouldn’t need to do anything to keep them in sync. It should just work. But, as you’ll notice from your iOS Settings, there are quite a few iCloud settings.
This guide is designed to resolve any sync related problems. Start at the top and proceed down until the problem is resolved. It takes approximately 5 minutes to complete it from start to finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use iCloud Sync as backup?
Yes and No. iCloud Sync can serve as backup if you lose your device, or get a new one. However, keep in mind that if you delete something from Lumen Trails, that delete will propagate to all your other devices. For this reason, iCloud Sync should not be used as backup. Instead, you can use Google Drive for automatic daily backups. This will allow you to restore Lumen Trails to an arbitrary point in time.
First Time Sync Setup
Launch Lumen Trails (the one with your existing data), go to Settings > Advanced Options and turn iCloud Sync ON. You will be asked to confirm if your data is on this device, or in the iCloud. Choose This device. Once your data gets uploaded, launch Lumen Trails on your other device(s), turn iCloud Sync ON, but this time, pick In the iCloud option to restore data from the iCloud. Your devices will be kept in sync going forward.
Normally it takes about 5-10 seconds for your data to get synchronized between devices, but it may take longer depending on your network connectivity and Apple server load. Note: Your local changes get uploaded to iCloud only after you press the home button and the app transitions to background. This is done in order to reduce network usage and conserve your battery life.
Devices Stopped Synchronizing
- Make sure both devices are connected to internet (ideally WiFi).
- Are you signed-in to iCloud? (see iPhone Settings > iCloud > Account)
- Is iCloud Drive ON? (see iPhone Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive)
- Do you have plenty of space left in the iCloud? (see iPhone Settings > iCloud > Storage)
- Is your Date & Time set correctly? (see iPhone Settings > General > Date & Time)
- Launch Lumen Trails on all your devices and wait a few seconds. Devices sync with iCloud only when the app is running. It’s possible that you made some changes while you were offline and you haven’t launched the app since (and hence your changes did not get uploaded to iCloud yet).
- Are you connected to internet using a cellular network or WiFi? If cellular, go to iPhone Settings > Cellular. Make sure Cellular Data is ON. Scroll to the bottom and make sure Use Cellular Data for Lumen Trails is ON as well.
- Is Lumen Trails connected to iCloud? (see Lumen Trails Settings > Advanced Options)
- Restart all your devices (press and hold the power button).
Did your devices stop synchronizing recently without you changing any settings? If so, it’s likely a temporary iCloud issue. Wait a few hours before performing the steps below or contact Apple Support.
Reset iCloud Sync
- Launch Lumen Trails on all your devices, go to Settings > Advanced Options and turn iCloud Sync OFF.
- On the device which has all your Lumen Trails data, go to iOS Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > Lumen Trails, tap the Edit button, then Delete All. This will not delete your local data.
- Launch Lumen Trails, then go to Settings > Advanced Options and turn iCloud Sync ON. You will be asked to confirm if your data is on this device, or in the iCloud. Choose this device. Once your data gets uploaded, launch Lumen Trails on your other device(s), turn iCloud Sync ON, but this time, pick In the iCloud option to restore data from the iCloud. Your devices will be kept in sync going forward.
In the unlikely event that you’ve reached this far and your devices are still not synchronizing, and you aren’t getting any errors, then most likely you are experiencing a temporary iCloud problem. Please wait a few hours before contacting us or Apple Support.
You can contact us using support option from within the app. Launch Lumen Trails, tap the Settings button at the bottom right corner, then tap App Support.